Wills and Probate Legal Services
Let us help you write a Will, or apply for a Grant of Probate
Adams Harrison have been established in Saffron Walden as Solicitors since 1834 and have established offices in Haverhill and Sawston. We aim to provide a top quality service to our clients. We have a specialist private client department with highly qualified fee earners who can advise and assist you in all aspects of this area of law.
When someone dies it can be difficult to know what to do. This is where Adams Harrison can help. There is no need to be apprehensive about coming to see us. We have all been in a similar situation and understand your concerns.
We offer an initial consultation during which we can answer your questions and advise you on how to proceed.
We can help with questions like:
- Administration of Estate
- Co-habitees and second marriages – Increasingly nowadays couples are not marrying but have children together or indeed marry for a second time and each partner has children from a previous relationship. We can advise on ways of making sure that children are taken care of and that your estates are distributed fairly between the families.
- Powers of Attorney – Unfortunately, many of us get to a stage in our lives when we become unable to deal with our financial affairs whether due to loss of mental or physical capacity. Lasting powers of attorney enable you to put in place the security that if you were to lose capacity, you have someone appointed who can immediately take over your financial affairs for you so that property can be sold and bills paid without delay. There are two different kinds of Lasting power of Attorney, the first is known as property and affairs and as the name suggests deals with the appointment of someone to deal with your finances. The second is known as health and welfare and enables you to appoint someone to make medical decisions for you and for you to give directions about the medical care you wish to receive if you are unable to make those decisions yourself. It is very similar to a Living Will or Advance Directive. Without a Lasting Power of Attorney in place you have no say over who assists you when you lose capacity and the process of appointing someone to deal with matters for you will otherwise be lengthy and costly.
- Court of Protection – If you do not have a Power of Attorney in place and you become incapable of managing your affairs, a friend or relative or professional person will need to apply to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship Order. We advise and apply for such orders and can provide full and detailed advice through the whole procedure.
- Trusts – We advise on the formation and administration of trusts, and together with our network of financial advisers, on a wide range of investments, insurance arrangements and pensions for trusts or individuals. Trusts can assist with inheritance tax planning and ring fencing funds for beneficiaries who are perhaps unable to deal with their finances themselves or are having money difficulties.
- Tax planning – Inheritance Tax is becoming more of a concern with the rise in house prices. We can advise on ways of attempting to avoid or at least reduce any inheritance tax bill through the drafting of Wills and also making gifts during your lifetime. The area is a mine field and we are specialised in advising the best and safest way to attempt to mitigate tax. We can prepare your income tax returns and make capital gains tax calculations.
- Charity law – We also advise on all aspects of Charity Law, including the formation of charitable trusts, charitable companies and other bodies, the administration of charitable funds and the preparation of annual accounts and returns.
Wills and Probate Customer Testimonials
I would like to add that you have been very quick and precise in dealing with the estate and for that my brother and I are very grateful.
We have no hesitation in recommending your services to friends and family.
For Sarah Bruce;
Certain to recommend you……..good service and the friendly approach, good response to queries and feedback.
Thank you very much for dealing with my will so quickly in these difficult times.
Excellent work you have done to settle my Father’s estate.
I was impressed by the depth and quality of the formal document…….it was a great piece of work.
I would like to thank you for the way in which you have handled the affairs of our late husband and father. Not only was everything carried out in a very professional manner but at all times we were treated with empathy and understanding which meant a great deal to us. I would like to say that the service we have had from you and your firm has been excellent in every aspect. Our thanks to you (Melanie Pratlett ) and Julia for your patience guiding us through the last few months.
We write to confirm the receipt of our Lasting Powers of Attorney.
We would like to thank you very much indeed for the excellent service you have given us with our Wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney. We have appreciated enormously the advice and assistance that you have given us at all stages of the process.